Tuesday, August 30, 2011
When school starts back, I love cooking my kids a good breakfast. This is one of their favorites!
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. milk
2 T. butter
8 thick slices bread
12 slices Cheddar cheese
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; set aside. Prepare a griddle or large skillet by melting butter over low heat.
Dip only one side of 4 bread slices in egg mixture. Place 4 bread slices, coated side down, on griddle or in skillet.
Top each bread slice with 3 cheese slices. Sprinkle cheese with bacon, or if you haven't crumbled it, just lay about 3 slices on top of the cheese. Dip only one side of the remaining 4 bread slices in egg mixture and place over bacon, coated side up.
Cook 5 minutes per side or until bread is golden and cheese is melted.
This is my version of the chicken breast at Chili's. It's pretty good, and very simple!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/2 lbs. total
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
4-8 slices cooked bacon, according to your taste preference
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
Heat oven to 350
Place chicken in a single layer in a greased baking dish.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon on the barbecue sauce.
Bake in oven for 25 minutes, or until all pink is gone.
Top each breast half with 1 or 2 slices of cooked bacon. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake in oven 5 more minutes.
Top each breast half with fresh scallions.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
You can easily omit the green peppers in this recipe. My kids don't love them, so I left them out then added some sauteed spinach right before serving.
- 2 large onions, sliced into strips
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 pound thinly-sliced round steak
- 1 clove garlic, finely-minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c beef broth
- 1 tsp. freshly-ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack chees
- Rolls or bread
Place the sliced onions and green peppers in the bottom of the Crock Pot stoneware. Lay the round steak slices on top of the vegetables. Whisk together the minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and pepper. Pour over steak slices. Cover. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat the oven to broil. Slice the rolls, lengthwise, but not all the way through. Place steak, green peppers and onions on half of each roll. Top with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Broil two minutes or just until the cheese is melted and the roll is lightly toasted.
This is a really great way to change up chicken for the night!
- 8 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices deli ham,
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half (I sometimes use cheddar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- vegetable oil
Monday, August 22, 2011
I always make the kids a back to school treat on the first day of school. Usually it's cupcakes, but this year I decided to make Rice Krispie Treats. I added red food coloring and molded it in a cake pan! Turned out so cute, and tasted yummy! Here is my recipe......
- 3 tablespoons salted butter or margarine
- 1 package regular marshmallows
- - OR -
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispies
2. Add RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.
Saturday, August 6, 2011
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) package cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cream cheese, cinnamon, and vanilla to pan, and stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread cinnamon and cream cheese mixture over puff pastry. Roll puff pastry into a log, and pinch ends together to keep filling inside. Place roll in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and spread cream cheese frosting over warm roll. Serve warm or at room temperature.
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 envelope (1 ounce) dried onion soup mix
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup canned bacon crumbles or 1/2 pound bacon, fried and crumbled
1 carton (16 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
Spray slow cooker cooking surface with nonstick cooking spray.
Mix soup with soup mix in medium bowl.
Layer chicken breast and soup misxture in slow cooker.
Sprinkle bacon crumbles over top.
Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or on LOW 8 hours.
During last hour of cooking, add sour cream; stir