Monday, August 4, 2014
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon salt or kosher
• ½ ground black pepper
• 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
• ½ teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 pound whole-wheat penne
• 6 tablespoons salted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
• ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the cut green beans on a large, rimmed baking sheet (lined with foil for easy cleanup). Drizzle the olive oil over top, and sprinkle on ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Toss until evenly coated, then spread it back out in an even layer. Roast until tender. and, 15 to 20 minutes, tossing partway through.
In the meantime, put the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer. (you’ll know it’s reduced enough when the vinegar coats the back of a spoon). Stir in the brown sugar and remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Remove from the heat.
While the vinegar is reducing, cook the penne according to package instructions. Drain the pasta, and toss it with the butter and vinegar until it’s well coated. Add the veggies, Parmesan and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and toss gently to combine. Serve with the extra Parmesan.
Monday, June 30, 2014
Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir 1 package fresh mushrooms, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons beef broth, 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves,and black pepper in the hot oil and butter until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 8 more minutes.
Yes it's that easy!!
Friday, June 27, 2014
I have been playing around with the edit on my phone, so please excuse the super skinny pic of the dressing.
I've learned that the key to eating healthy is planning, and having healthy food ready and easy to grab. This is one of those easy salad recipes that you can make ahead and grab for lunch through out the week. The great thing about this salad is that you can add anything you want to it. If you like cilantro add it, if you don't then don't. Next time I think I will add some pineapple slices!
For the dressing:
6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
Whisk all ingredients together!!
For the salad:
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups shredded napa cabbage
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 carrots, julienned
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 bag sliced almonds
1 cup green onions
***I added shredded chicken, and I topped it with crunchy lo mein noodles for my kids!
Friday, April 11, 2014
If your looking for an easy topping for chicken taco's, here is a great spring/summer recipe. Just mix all these ingredients together, sprinkle a little feta cheese, and serve over shredded fajita chicken! That's it, it may look fancy but, nope that's all.
1 lime zested
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tbl garlic powder
3 tsp white sugar
4 tbl fresh cilantro
3 tbl chopped red onion
4 cups shredded green cabbage
Friday, March 28, 2014
This is not a great pic, I just snapped a quick one on my phone on the way out the door. This tomato tart is a great dish to take to a brunch pot lock, teacher luncheon, or just anywhere you need a delicious side. It's pretty and simple!
- Pie Crust, store bought
- 1 1/2 C shredded Mozzarella
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 C pesto
- 1/2 C mayo
- 1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil for garnish
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Bake pie crust according to directions on crust.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1/2 cup Mozzarella on bottom. Let cool.
- While crust is cooling, cut tomatoes into slices (about 1/4" thick or thicker if preferred) and drain on paper towel.
- Spread layer of pesto over cheese.
- Place tomatoes over pesto layer.
- Combine mayo, Parmesan, pepper/salt, garlic powder and remaining Mozzarella and spread on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Here is a quick recipe for super yummy chocolate cookies with Resse's minis. These went so fast in my house, I was lucky to get a picture!
- 1 box any flavor Duncan Hines cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- Add 1/2 cup oil and two eggs to one box of cake mix. Add chips, nuts, and flavorings if desired (or a bag of Resse's minis).
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Friday, January 10, 2014
Resolution #1......make eating at home as easy as eating "fast food"
I'm starting the new year eating fresh and healthy, which really means food prep. This is a great salad that I can make on Monday and eat for lunch for a few days. If it's easy and on hand, I will be more opt to eat it rather than run through a "fast food" restaurant.
Here's the recipe:
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped small
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 green/red/or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shaved or shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups prepared couscous
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Season well salt and a bit of fresh cracked black pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
**** Sometimes I add any extra veggies that I have in the fridge. Tomatoes, carrots, zucchini...whatever you like.