Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Potato Soup in a Snap




4 pounds new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 -inch thick slices

1 small onion, chopped

2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth

1 pint heavy whipping cream

Salt and Pepper

Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion slices



Layer sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 6-quart slow cooker; top with chopped onion.

Stir together chicken broth, salt, and pepper; pour over potatoes and onion. (Broth will not completely cover potatoes and onion.) Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in whipping cream. Cover and cook on HIGH 20 more minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle into bowls, and serve with desired toppings.

I cooked my soup on HIGH 4 hours, plus the 20 minutes at the end. I bought the green onion pre-sliced in the produce section of my grocery store. For the crumbled bacon, I bought a package of bacon. Then, just a couple of minutes before serving the soup, I microwaved the bacon and chopped it up. I think the fresh bacon made a big difference. I placed the toppings in small bowls on the table, so everyone could personalize their own bowl of soup. I also served a loaf of fresh crusty french bread for dipping. All said and done, dinner was great and I had leftovers for one more meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment